“A lack of consumer trust, transparency and scientific rigor has hampered the CBD and cannabinoid industry from reaching its growth potential for far too long,” said Jeff Chen, MD, MBA, Co-founder and CEO of Radicle Science, in the press release. “By uniting the strength of Open Book Extract’s quality innovation and custom product development with Radicle Science’s unbiased scientific rigor in natural products research, we can impact every stage of the product life cycle from ideation to validation. This alliance is just the first step in a larger movement to co-create a future where consumers have access to trusted cannabinoid products that fully deliver on their potential to help people live healthier, fuller lives.”
Brands looking to develop custom products with CBD and other cannabinoids will be able to leverage the collective scientific expertise, industry knowledge, proprietary data analytics platform, and clinical trial infrastructure of the alliance to develop insights on effects of specific formulations of cannabinoid products, in order to help bring to market products formulated on rigorous scientific evidence to address need states.
The alliance creates the infrastructure required to deliver expert support and research-backed insights to guide all phases of the product development process, from ideation to consumer targeting. It will move through the following phases:
- OBX partners with brands seeking to enter the market, devoting OBX resources to understand the brand vision, develop product concepts, conduct thorough market research and analyze costs.
- OBX creates customized formulations to address the desired outcomes, to deliver prototypes to test the formulation hypotheses.
- Radicle Science conducts a rigorous randomized controlled trial of the various formulations to reveal differential effects of various ingredients, combinations of ingredients, dosages and delivery methods on various health-related need states.
- Brands select packaging, labels and other physical concepts for the selected product.
- The OBX and Radicle Science validated product is sent to production.