FrieslandCampina Ingredients has released its third annual magazine discussing trends that the company says will drive the evolution of food, drink and supplement industries in 2023. Shaping the future of Nutrition 2023 offers expert insights into current consumer drivers. The goal: to help brands identify areas for innovation and new product development (NPD) in the adult nutrition sector.
In its 2022 trends roundup, the company reported several "seismic shifts" in consumer behaviors, including the health of the planet beating health of the population to the top consumer priority for the first time. This year, FrieslandCampina is forecasting an evolution of these macro trends. To stand out from the competition, the company believes brands should focus of building credibility and truly helping consumers get the most out of life, at every stage.
5 trends shaping consumer habits in the adult nutrition sector:
- Building trust for planet-first nutrition. FrieslandCampina reports: "The health of the planet has cemented itself as the top consumer priority. And while this looks set to continue for the foreseeable, consumers are becoming increasingly skeptical – 38% do not trust companies to be honest about their environmental impact. However, 83% of consumers are more likely to trust sustainability claims that are verified by a third party. Working together as a cohesive industry to lower our impact on the environment will help companies big and small meet their sustainability targets and bolster trust among consumers at the same time."
- Focusing on positive nutrition. "As the world adjusts to post-COVID life and the global cost of living crisis, consumers are feeling stressed, and are increasingly seeking out a sense of balance to build resilience," the company shares. Many are turning to positive nutrition to meet their goals; they are looking to add beneficial foods, drinks and supplements to their diets, rather than eliminating less-healthy options. The result, FrieslandCampina says, is that consumers are looking for solutions that offer healthy indulgence. Fortified and nutritious desserts, drinks, and snacks will be in demand.
- Elevating alt proteins. Plant-based has been making the shift to mainstream, and consumers are seeking high-quality, high-nutrition products rather than just stand-ins for animal-based products. "Emerging technologies, such as precision fermentation, are opening up new opportunities in 2023 for brands – but mastering taste and texture remains paramount. In 2023 and beyond, FrieslandCampina Ingredients believes that the protein market will continue to evolve; combining animal, plant-based and novel proteins to keep up with consumer lifestyle choices and to feed a growing population."
- Going for gut health. Consumers are more savvy about the role of the gut microbiome in supporting improved mental health, stress. and sleep. As a result, FrieslandCampina says, brands can attract consumers by creating "accessible self-care moments. And thanks to ingredient innovations in the space, unique and trending formats can be created, such as teas, shots and fortified gummies using good-for-gut ingredients such as prebiotics."
- Embracing active aging. "As healthcare evolves," FrieslandCampina reports, "global emphasis is shifting from ‘healthy’ to ‘active’ aging, with older adults focused on getting the most out of life. This offers a wealth of opportunities for brands to create solutions targeting emerging markets like Japan and South Korea with products that support long-term strength, balance and mobility."
Read more 2023 Trends
“We’re living in tumultuous times,” says Vicky Davies, Global Marketing Director for Performance, Active and Medical Nutrition at FrieslandCampina Ingredients. "So, it can be difficult to predict exactly what the future will hold. However, what’s clear is that in 2023 consumers will continue to prioritise health – both their own and that of the planet. Despite several market challenges, there is huge opportunity for brands to tap into these evolving trends. From mood-boosting gut health supplements to edible moments of indulgence, new ingredient innovations are inspiring product development across the adult nutrition space. But to truly stand out from the crowd, brands will need to bolster trust and credibility to win the faith of consumers, especially when it comes to sustainability. At FrieslandCampina Ingredients, collaboration is our DNA. Using our latest insights, our experts can work with brands to create on-trend nutritious, efficacious and sustainable solutions to help support consumers at all stages of life.”