In addition to educating on the latest science, companies were forming new partnerships, promoting new offerings and celebrating milestones. Some highlights:
- Sabinsa was showcasing several condition-specific branded ingredients, including Tinofolin, a nootropic; Livinol for healthy liver and weight management; and Starmeric, a resistant starch isolated from turmeric that acts like a prebiotic. Sabinsa was also on hand to educate at the AHPA Botanical Congress. Shaheen Majeed, Sabinsa’s President Worldwide, discussed how the Indian culture has shaped herbalism in a talk titled "Traditional Medicines and Contemporary Herbal Traditions." Coming soon, WholeFoods will have expanded coverage of the Botanical Council.
- Ashland announced that the company entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with Clasado Biosciences to expand its portfolio of health and wellness solutions with Bimuno prebiotics in North America. Ashland also signed an agreement with Specnova that gives Ashland exclusive rights to distribute NordicCherry tart cherry extract in the U.S. On the new products front, Ashland announced three: (1) Patent-pending StableFizz effervescent base provides a stabilized effervescent granulation system without the challenge of conventional effervescent technologies and works in different dosage forms such as tablets, sachets or powdered beverages in canisters; (2) N-Dur XR drink technology platform extends nutrient release during post workout for up to six hours; (3) Kluecel Nutra U modified cellulose is described as an ultra-binder for nutritional supplement tablets.
Kaneka Probiotics announced the launch of its Naturally Smart Probiotic line, Floradapt, with a special ribbon cutting ceremony on the show floor. The company says Floradapt has an extensive bank of over 1,000 acid-resistant clinical probiotic strains for targeted health conditions including Cardio, Intensive GI, Digestive, Oral Health, Mature Immune Defense, Baby Colic, Urinary Tract and Vaginal Health. More
on Floradapt in WholeFoods October feature, 10 Trends in Raw Materials. And in related news, Kaneka announced a $150,000 Naturally Smart Probiotic giveaway as a part of its Innovation Awards program. The company will provide the opportunity for nine contest winners to receive up to 5,000 free units of one of the three key Floradapt products, Baby Colic, Cardio and Intensive GI. The second and final part of the Innovation Awards will be announced at Expo West in 2020.
- Fruit d'Or announced that it has partnered with INS Farms to introduce Elder Cran, a black elderberry extract syrup with organic cranberry extract powder formulated for cold, cough and urinary tract health. In other news, Fruit d’Or and Norm's Farms introduced facial day and night creams, eye serum and body cream, made with cold-pressed Fruit d’Or Cranberry Seed Oil and black elderberry seed oil from INS Farms; and National Bio-Green Sciences is introducing Fruit d'Or organic cranberry juice mouthwash.
BI Nutraceuticals was showcasing its new SQF Certified, FSMA and cGMP Compliant Hemp Product Line, which includes a Full Spectrum Hemp Extract Powder, Hemp Soft Extract and several Hemp Protein Concentrates, available as conventional or organic. The Hemp Soft Extract allows BI to expand the offerings of its existing Hemp line to include unique applications such as soft gels and tinctures. BI also was discussing its high nitrate arugula powder, which contains 1.5%-4.5% nitrate, three times the nitrate content found in beet juice.
- Lonza announced the launch of its new vegan MuscleGuard ingredient formulation, which is a patent-pending blend of four nutrients: Lonza’s Carnipure L-Carnitine, Creatine and Leucine with vitamin D. In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial on healthy older subjects, MuscleGuard was shown to benefit muscle strength, muscle mass and physical activity. Lonza also presented its capsule and encapsulation technologies, including the Vcaps Plus line of clean-label colored capsules.
- Soft Gel Technologies, Inc., was discussing the company's services, specializing in providing marketers with premium quality dietary supplements in a soft gelatin capsule delivery system. Steve Holtby, president & CEO, Soft Gel, shared insights with WholeFoods in our October feature Contract Manufacturers ID 10 Top Trends for 2020.
- Bioenergy Life Science was sharing news of the evidence linking declining NAD and the aging process—and how RiaGev, a combination of Bioenergy Ribose and Vitamin B3, increases both NAD and ATP.
- Nuherbs featured its range of organic Chinese herbs, organic standardized extracts, Pharmacopeia grade herbs and Bespoke extracts. The company exhibited next to its extraction partner World-Way Biotech, which specializes in the manufacture of plant-derived extracts for the nutraceutical food and cosmetic industries. “Our partnership with World-Way marries our sustainable sourcing capabilities with their extraction capabilities,” said Wilson Lau, Nuherbs Vice President, in a press release. “We’re pleased to be able to fulfill our client’s needs through complete range of botanical offerings from bulk herbs to different particle sizes, including water dispersible powders to an extract."
- Gelita and Geltor signed a letter of intent for developing, producing, and marketing the first ingestible animal-free collagen proteins, to be launched in late 2020. More details here.
- Hydrosol was looking ahead to "vegan 3.0"—as the plant-based market matures, there will be increased pressure for clean label with short ingredients lists and improved texture and taste. Hydrosol is focusing on “free from” solutions including new concepts for melted cheese preparations and for plant-based alternatives to dairy, deli and meat products. "Hybrid" products will also gain popularity as more people shift to flexitarian lifestyles.
- Lactalis Ingredients was spreading the word about Pronativ natural native whey protein, which is minimally processed and so more nutrient dense; it has only one ingredient: farm fresh milk that is cold filtered. Lactalis says it supports muscle function and is backed by 15 years of research.
- MitoCarn launched its suite of patented L-Carnitine ingredients, including MitoCarn Brain, MitoCarn Heart, MitoCarn Sport and MitoCarn Weight. These targeted solutions focus on optimizing mitochondrial function.
Socati Corp. was talking clean label and CBD (as well as CBG and CBN), debuting its new water soluble cannabinoid ingredients, which are flavorless and enable manufacturers to incorporate hemp-derived cannabinoids without the need for emulsifiers, surfactants or additional flavoring agents.
- Kerry was showcasing benefit-driven food, beverage and supplement concepts, including gummies (like Gelatin-Free Gummies with Wellmune), tablets (think Effervescent Immune Tablet with Wellmune), collagen shots , cookies, bars and more. And watch for more on new research from Kerry in WholeFoods Immune Health feature in the December issue.
- Artemis International was sharing the news of its partnership with dark berry extract company Iprona in the launch of ElderCraft elderberry extracts in the U.S. ElderCraft elderberry extracts use Austrian black elderberries and deliver standardized amounts of anthocyanins in liquid or powdered formats. On the horizon: The ElderCraft line will expand to include CherryCraft, AroniaCraft and more.
- Lycored featured the new Cycle of Glow exhibit, an interactive pop-up experience that demonstrates how Lycoderm, a carotenoid-rich tomato nutrient complex, nourishes skin. Get more on the science supporting Lycoderm here.
- FrieslandCampina Ingredients announced that its brands Domo, Kievit, DMV and Nutrifeed have been brought together in a new consumer-centric organization that will help FrieslandCampina anticipate and respond to demands in the North American market. One example: the introduction of Non-GMO Project Verified Ingredients to help companies phase out GMOs.
- DSM was discussing its formulated premix solutions for addressing trending health concerns with herbs, botanicals and more. Top concerns include everything from day to night, with solutions for daytime energy, stress relief, night vision, refreshing sleep and more.
- Euromed Nature & Science was sharing info about Pomanox, a patented, standardized natural extract of pomegranate whole fruit that has been shown to improve the function of endothelium cells in arteries through an increased release of NO in plasma, and by favorably supporting balance of vascular inflammation and oxidation.
- Amyris, Inc. was spreading the word about Purecane, a sweetener made from responsibly farmed sugarcane and a fermentation-based process that the company says gives its Reb M a sweet taste without the calories of sugar.
- Kyowa Hakko USA was celebrating its 50th anniversary with fun activities including a TAP to Win game by Cognizin, a champagne toast and a book signing with Max Lugavere, NYT Bestselling author of Genius Foods.
- Nuherbs celebrated its 40th anniversary with friends and colleagues as sponsors of the American Herbal Products Association’s member reception. The company was founded in 1979 as a family herb store, and today, under the management of second and third generation family members, supplies manufacturers with organic and conventional standardized extracts, as well as Nuherbs Bespoke Extracts, organic and pharmacopeia grade bulk herbs.
- Natreon, which started with a concept to bring Ayurvedic botanicals to market, celebrated its 20th anniversary and successful growth, having evolved into a global specialty ingredient company with a portfolio of 7 products supported by 28 patents and 51 clinical trials.
OmniActive Health Technologies celebrated its 15th anniversary with a "Blastoff into the Future" part. As part of that milestone, OmniActive announced that the company is changing its approach to the marketplace, encouraging companies to use its products to help customers upgrade their lifestyles. The “HealthStyle” approach focused on health benefit solutions that help companies serving consumers who want to recharge, optimize, and re-energize their lives.
- Vitamin Angels, which celebrated its 25th anniversary this year, hosted TopGolf 2019, a charity fundraiser to help end childhood malnutrition.
Sustainability EffortsSustainability was a main topic of discussion at several booths, andWholeFoodswill have in-depth coverage in the January issue, looking at the efforts of ingredient suppliers such asApplied Food Sciencesand Indena, who, along with Euromed, RFI,Valensa, andVerdure Sciences, are among the 18 inaugural underwriters of the Sustainable Herb Program (SHP). More details on SHPhere.
so check back in onwww.WholeFoodsMagazine.com for SSW updates. Plus—stay tuned for coverage from AHPA’s Botanical Congress.