The annual tradeshow will showcase top ingredients and technologies that will fuel growth and drive trends in dietary supplements, functional foods, beverages, sports nutrition and personal care products. New for 2019: SupplySide West will be co-located with Food ingredients North America (FiNA), bringing this global event to the States for the first time, according to a release, which notes that the event will serve both large food and beverage brands and the natural, organic and functional food & beverage brands that are fueling growth in the market.
Another 2019 highlight: The NEXTY Awards at SupplySide West. 2019 categories and finalists include NOW Organic Monk Fruit Extract in the Best Clean Label Food/Beverage category; AC Grace APRE PROBIOTIC in the Best Digestive Health Product category; Seipel Group Urox and Pharmavite/ Nature Made Prenatal Gummies in the Best Life Stage Specific Supplement category; and many more (the full list of finalists can be found online). Awards will be presented to winners at the SupplySide West show.
As always, there will be more than 140 hours of educational covering a variety of topics, ranging from GMP Training courses, to information on market trends, formulation considerations, regulatory changes and more. Two featured sessions: At 9am on Thursday "DSHEA @ 25: Legal Reform and the Future of the Law" will look at the past 25 years, as well as the future of DSHEA. And at 9am on Friday, “Accelerating Growth in the Organic Market” will deliver information on global regulatory issues related to organic imports and innovative solutions to address the challenges facing the organic supply chain.
On the tradeshow floor, over 1,300 exhibitors will be showcasing their offerings. Expo Hall hours are Thursday 10am to 5:30pm and Friday 10am to 5pm.
Also of note:
- Alkemist Labs CEO Elan Sudberg will be a featured speaker at the summit “CBD From Seed to Shelf: The Supply Side Story,” taking place from 9am to 5pm.
- Dr. Jonathan Bortz will discuss healthy fats, metabolism and choline at a breakfast briefing at 9 AM. "The Healthy Liver Triangle: Healthy Fats, Balanced Diet, and Choline" will explore the Healthy Liver Triangle and how a low carb, healthy fat-enriched diet can be optimized with the use of choline.
- Artemis International, in conjunction with Iprona, is launching the ElderCraft brand of premium European black elderberry extract offerings. A discussion on the science and “Craft” technology behind ElderCraft will be held from 2pm-2:20pm at Booth 1266 with speakers Melanie Bush, Director of Berry Science, Artemis International, Inc. Dr. Stephan Plattner, Business Development Manager, Iprona AG/SpA.
- "Innovative Mediterranean Fruit Extracts for Healthy Aging" at the Presentation Theater, 3pm-3:50pm, with speakers Carsten Smidt Ph.D., Smidt Labs, LLC, and Andrea Zangara MSc., Euromed S.A.
- "How to Generate Greater Sales with Cranberry" from 3:30pm-4:20pm at booth #1266 will be moderated by alternative health expert Bryce Wylde. Presenters will be Complete Phytochemical Solutions (CPS) CEO Christian Krueger and nutrition expert Derek Timm.
- Genius Foods author Max Lugavere will be signing books at the Kyowa booth #3737 from 3:30pm-5pm--and at 4:30 Kyowa will be celebrating its 50th anniversary with a champagne toast.
- “Catalyzing Climate Action in the Health and Nutrition Industry” takes place 4:30pm to 5:00pm. Sara Newmark of MegaFood, Matt Dybala of Herb Pharm, and the Climate Collaborative will discuss how companies are making climate action core to their mission—and how doing so has improved their relationships with customers.
- From 11:30am-11:50am at booth 1266, speakers Melanie Bush, Director of Berry Science, Artemis International, Inc. Dr. Jessie Hawkins, Director, Franklin Institute of Integrative Health Sciences, will discuss Aronia supplementation, and why Aronia deserves a top spot on the next Hot Ingredient Products list.
- “Botanical Alert! DNA Technology Applied to Bilberry Extract: Indena's MIRTOSELECT” takes place from 1pm to 1:20pm at the Presentation Theater with Stefano Lo Priore, CEO, Hyris Ltd.
- “Sourcing for Impact: Building Supply Chain Relationships that Boost the Environment & Business” will be held from 2pm to 2:30pm. Josef Brinckmann, Traditional Medicinals Research Fellow, Rupa Das, VP of Global Quality & Compliance for BI Nutraceuticals, Ann Armbrecht of ABC's Sustainable Herbs Program and Holly Johnson of AHPA will discuss the challenges and opportunities of cross-stakeholder collaboration in building sustainability into supply chain networks.
- AHPA Botanical Congress, featuring a variety of speakers including Shaheen Majeed, Sabinsa’s President Worldwide, who will describe how the Indian culture has shaped herbalism in a session titled "Traditional Medicines and Contemporary Herbal Traditions."