NPA is a member of theCoalition for Accurate Product Labels(CAPL), a group of business and agriculture organizations that believe that consumers have a right to clear, accurate, and meaningful information about the products they buy. CAPL explains on its website that it believes "Congress should amend the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act to create a national standard that will ensure consumers continue to benefit from the nutritional and allergy information on packaging today while guaranteeing that any additional product information required by states or localities is clear, accurate, and based on sound science."
AsWholeFoodspreviously reported, the ALA is a bipartisan act introduced by Reps. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) and Kurt Schrader (D-OR). NPA explained in a press release that the ALA will amend the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act to:
- Ensure consumers have access to clear, accurate and meaningful product labels;
- Establish science-based criteria for state and local labeling requirements to ensure consistent, high-quality consumer information;
- Allow state-mandated product information to be provided through smartphone-enabled “smart labels” and on websites;
- Ensure that covered product information is risk-based; and
- Will leave unchanged current federal laws related to allergens, nutrition facts and medicines.