Jarrow Formulas® Inc (JFI), headquartered in Los Angeles, CA, is a formulator and wholesaler of high-quality nutritional supplements. The company was founded in 1977 and incorporated in 1988. Today, Jarrow markets its products throughout the world, including the United States, Mexico, Canada, England, France, Japan, Singapore, China, Taiwan, Israel, Kuwait, Azerbaijan and other countries. Jarrow Formulas’® mission is reflected in its motto: “Superior Nutrition and Formulation.” The company’s philosophy is to encourage preventive care through research and education. Individuals are encouraged to look at health care holistically.
Jarrow Formulas’® goal is to promote optimal health with high-quality, effective, affordable and cutting-edge nutritional products that are based on sound scientific research data. Its staff of scientists and health professionals are actively involved in scientific and clinical studies and working with researchers from universities, institutes and other establishments around the world. Jarrow Formulas® strives to provide the best service and technical information to its customers.
Jarrow Formulas conducts its own research studies that include, but are not limited to, the following:
Clinical Study Demonstrates Superior Bioavailability of Jarrow’s Proprietary QH-absorb® Formula (June 2009): Italian scientists from the University of Ancona (Institute of Biochemistry) measured the plasma levels of Co-Q10 (Jarrow QH-absorb®, a stabilized proprietary Co-Q10 formula utilizing ubiquinol) after taking 100 mg three times per day (100 mg T.I.D. = 300 mg). Eleven adult volunteers took QH-absorb® over a two-week period. In this study, the results proved the superior absorption of QH-absorb®, as demonstrated by:
• total Co-Q10 levels increasing from 0.70 mcg/mL to 6.14 mcg/mL.
• improving the mean reduced Co-Q10 (ubiquinol) levels in the plasma from 0.62 mcg/ml to 5.75 mcg/mL. This was an increase of 827% over baseline in humans.
• five of the volunteers achieved plasma levels over 7 mcg/mL and one subject was higher than 8 mcg/mL.
Another interesting finding showed a significant reduction in oxidized Co-Q10 in patients. Oxidized Co-Q10 does not function as an antioxidant. The results proved the efficacy of QH-absorb® as demonstrated by a reduction in the mean oxidized Co-Q10 levels in the plasma from 12% to 7%.
Bone-Up® Improves Bone Health in Young Women (August 2007): The results of a clinical trial investigating the effects of Bone-Up®, an enhanced calcium formula, on young women were published in the Journal of Nutritional & Environmental Medicine. It showed that exercise plus intake of Bone-Up® can improve bone health in young adult women, which could lower the risk of developing osteoporosis later in life.
• Jarro-Dophilus EPS®: Room temperature stability with enteric protection, plus eight species and high potency.
• Bone-Up®: MCHA calcium formula for maximum bone density and strength.
• QH-absorb® and Q-absorb®: Clinically validated, high-absorption formulas of Coenzyme Q10.
• Ideal Bowel Support™ 299v: Contains proprietary probiotic strain Lactobacillus plantarum 299v (Lp299v), which has been shown in clinical trials to survive and colonize the digestive tract and alleviate intestinal discomfort in 95% of the patients studied.
• Fem-Dophilus®: Oral probiotic clinically documented to restore and maintain a healthy vaginal flora and reduce the risk of urogenital infections.
• JarroSil®: A patent-pending Activated Silicon® formula, containing stabilized molecular clusters of silicic acid for bone, joint, collagen, skin, hair and nails.
• SAM-e: The ultimate brain, liver and joint nutrient. Also supports healthy aging.
• Blackcurrant Juice Concentrate: Blackcurrant from New Zealand that promotes eye comfort and antioxidant protection.
• Pomegranate Juice Concentrate: Promotes cardiovascular function and healthy-aging.
• Ultra Joint Builder™: Provides key nutrients for proper cartilage formation, joint lubrication and a healthy inflammatory response within the joint.
• ALA Sustain™: Powerful master antioxidant.
• BroccoMax™: Standardized broccoli seed extract.
Optimal Plant Proteins™ Completely vegetarian protein sources (1.2 lbs)
Optimal Plant Proteins provides five different sources of protein-rich, vegetable powders important for amino acid and fiber content as well as the presence of various nutrients. These nutrients vary by plant and provide one rationale for consuming protein from a breadth of sources. Included sources are 1) pea 2) organic brown rice 3) organic hemp 4) Golden Chlorella®, a highly digestible chlorella with superior taste profile and 5) chia. In addition, a unique blend of fermentation products from beneficial bacteria has been added.
Skin L&P™ Lightens and protects the skin (60 capsules)
The skin is the largest organ in the human body, and provides the first line of defense against the outside environment. It also plays important roles in thermoregulation, sensation and secretion. Many of us tend to take it for granted and assume it’s less important than other parts of the body. However, when skin health is neglected and abused for a long time, it can result in a dry, scaly, pigmented and/or leathery appearance as well as compromised defense and problems that can affect other organ systems. Therefore, it is important to take care of the skin from an early age to protect against damage and maintain healthy great-looking skin.
Jarro-Dophilus® Oral Probiotic + Vitamin C Gum and Lozenge
(8 pieces per pack)
Jarrow Dophilus Oral Probiotic + Vitamin C contains oral probiotic organisms that are clinically documented to maintain immune, throat, mouth, nose and ear health. It is available in easy-to-take lozenge and chewing gum forms, which provide 200 million (per lozenge) or 100 million (per gum) allowing maximum probiotic exposure in the oral cavity.*
www.JarrowProbiotics.com and Interactive Probiotic Profile
www.JarrowProbiotics.com was launched that includes an all-new Interactive Probiotic Profile, which gathers important information about a responder’s Lifestyle and Body Systems in order to identify the most suitable probiotic products and strains for overall health maintenance. The three-step questionnaire designed by Jarrow Formulas’ research and nutrition professionals garners feedback on a consumer’s current health status, wellness goals and any areas of concern to help determine which probiotic strains would be most beneficial for body chemistry, lifestyle attributes, and/or probiotic deficiencies that may or may not be present. The newly designed probiotics Web site also contains in-depth information on the history of probiotics, the health benefits of the various strains, and the very latest on clinical uses. The site features comprehensive product information for all of Jarrow Formulas’ probiotic products as well as relevant studies, science news, media information and Jarrow Formulas’ entire library of product and special event videos that can be viewed at www.youtube.com/JarrowFormulas.
Jarrow Formulas® Inc.
Published in WholeFoods Magazine, November 2011