NOW Foods’ values and mission are very much aligned with those of its main customers, independent health food retailers. Although the company, founded in 1968 by Elwood Richard, has grown to become one of the industry’s largest manufacturers, NOW is still owned and run by the Richard family. The family ensures the company fulfills its original mission: to provide value in products and services that empower people to lead healthier lives. Elwood Richard’s core belief that high-quality health products should not be a luxury available only to the wealthy still shapes the company’s policies today.
People often ask how NOW can produce quality products at such reasonable prices, and the answer is surprisingly simple: commitment. Every phase of the manufacturing process, from the purchase and delivery of raw materials, to the packaging and shipping of products, follows strict procedures overseen by an educated, experienced team of experts. NOW’s state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities in Illinois and Nevada feature complete quality assurance and quality control systems and processes, and both locations are GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices)-certified and “A-rated” by the Natural Products Association (NPA).
Thorough testing and meticulous quality assurance ensure that NOW products are screened for contaminants and adulterants, labeled accurately and of the highest possible quality.
NOW’s dedication to the customers who have made its success possible is illustrated by the company’s stellar customer service and enduring commitment to the health food channel.
Key Market Areas
NOW’s product categories include dietary supplements, herbs, personal care, essential oils, natural foods and an array of natural sweeteners. According to SPINS data, NOW is the #1 selling amino acid brand in the health food channel, NOW® Solutions is #1 in Body & Massage Oils, #1 in the miscellaneous category (CoQ10, ALA, etc.) and #2 in the sports nutrition category.
With over 1,400 products in its catalog including dietary supplements, personal care products, sports nutrition products and natural foods, NOW is uniquely positioned to meet the comprehensive wellness needs of health-conscious consumers. Product categories include:
- Vitamin and minerals, amino acids and antioxidants
- Cardiovascular, metabolic, immune and digestive support supplements
- Super green foods, fiber and herbs
- Joint, mobility and structural support
- Men’s and women’s specialty supplements
- Sports nutrition, weight management and protein
- Personal care, essential oils and natural skincare
- Mental fitness and neural support
- Omega-3, nutritional oils and EFAs
- Natural and non-GMO foods, allergy-friendly and gluten-free foods, and teas
- Natural sweeteners including Sugarless Sugar™ and BetterStevia®, a proprietary whole leaf stevia extract in powders and liquids
- Pet supplements
NOW Foods is proud to support the independent health food retailer, and is absolutely dedicated to the success and growth of natural product stores. The company has tailored many aspects of its business model to serve the needs of those retailers, providing them with a diverse selection of sales tools, including retail and consumer catalogs, banners and displays, window signs, shelf talkers and informative literature for retailers and consumers.
One of NOW’s resources is the Online Retailer Portal, where retailers can manage their business from one convenient location to place orders, view order history and download digital product images, labels and marketing collateral. In the portal, retailers can also take advantage of the NOW® Product-ology online training system. The Product-ology training program was designed exclusively for retailers and offers fun and interactive lessons that will empower sales associates with proper knowledge about nutritional ingredients to better assist customers in the aisles.
NOW also offers manufacturing facility tours, retailer conferences, free e-newsletters and is one of the very few natural supplement companies to offer free technical support from certified nutritionists.
- NOW Foods introduced a new supplement label in March 2015, and will be rolling out the updated label on all products throughout the year. The new label is more user-friendly, contemporary and natural-looking. To complement the new design, NOW has added a distinct color and image for each product category (i.e., Botanicals/Herbs, Nutritional Oils, Omega-3/Fish Oils, etc.) that will remain consistent across the category, making it easier for consumers to quickly discern the category to which a product belongs and for which condition or body system it’s intended.
- Ellyndale Foods is NOW’s new foodie line of unique, flavorful products. It’s a unique collection of great-tasting foods with a focus on premium ingredients, innovative flavors, and superior packaging. These high-quality products are always natural or organic, non-GMO, and produced in small batches.
- NOW is excited to introduce a new NOW® Pets line of quality pet supplements. Developed under the guidance of Dr. Barbara Royal, a renowned Midwestern veterinarian who specializes in holistic animal care, the NOW® Pets line offers a broad range of products specifically tailored to address common pet health concerns. Coming in Summer 2015!
Published in WholeFoods Magazine, July 2015
Jim Emme, CEO