The gut is extremely important for proper immune health. Gut-Associated Lymphoid Tissue (GALT) comprises a large part of the immune system. An in vitro study, using a multistage simulator of the human digestive system, was conducted to understand EpiCor’s affect on the immune and digestive systems. EpiCor appears to support gut health through a variety of mechanisms:
• EpiCor acts as a prebiotic, which helps explain part of its mode of action as an immune modulator.
• The model used an established human gut flora inoculum and showed that EpiCor significantly increased the levels of butyrate, a short chain fatty acid (SCFA) that has been shown to be beneficial for gut immune health.
• EpiCor significantly increased the levels of beneficial bacteria (bifidobacteria and lactobacilli) over the control.
• Levels of secretory IgA have been shown to significantly increase with EpiCor vs. placebo in human clinical trials. This important immunoglobulin present in mucosal membranes is vital in our body’s first line of defense against pathogens.
• EpiCor contains mannan-oligosaccharides (MOS) and ß-glucans. Research has repeatedly demonstrated the beneficial effects of these oligosaccharides for gut immune health.
• Results show that the immune and prebiotic effects of EpiCor are complementary and help to improve gut health.
Published on WholeFoods Magazine Online, 7/2/2013