Recipe courtesy of Bioriginal Food & Science Corporation
Indian Chickpea Pulav (or Chickpea Rice)
- 1 cup of rice
- 3 table spoons of coconut oil
- 1 can of chickpeas or 425 grams chickpeas
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 medium-sized potato (cut in cubes)
- 3 cups of chopped spinach
- 1 cup of chopped red pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon of shredded ginger
- 1 finely chopped red chili or jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of red chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon of garam masala
- ½ teaspoon of lemon juice
- 2 cups of water
- Heat coconut oil in pan.
- Add cumin, ginger, cloves, and red chili (or jalapeno pepper). Stir for a few seconds.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, turmeric, chili powder and salt to the pan, and stir for approximately 2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and potatoes to the pan and let it cook on medium-low heat for approximately 8 minutes.
- Transfer contents of pan to pot, and add rice, spinach, red peppers and water to it.
- Add garam masala and bay leaf to the mixture, and stir.
- Bring water in pot to boil, and cover with lid.
- Let it cool for 12 to 15 minutes on low heat or until rice is cooked.
- Add lemon juice to cooked rice and mix gently.
Published by WholeFoods Magazine Online, 11/25/14.