Berkeley, CA—Clif Bar & Company sold its family-owned common stock to its employees through an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). Through the ESOP, employees own 20% of the company; owners Gary Erickson and Kit Crawford retain the remaining 80%.
San Diego, CA—As an example of Commissioner Margaret Hamburg’s efforts to make “swift, aggressive and effective enforcement” of its regulations, Lifesoy, Inc., a manufacturer of ready-to-eat soy products was cited by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for preparing, packaging and holding articles of food in unsanitary conditions.
On Monday, June 21, the Supreme Court overturned a controversial ban on genetically modified (GM) alfalfa seeds created by United States biotech giant Monsanto. According to George Kimbrell, senior staff attorney for the Center for Food Safety and lead council for the case (Monsanto v. Geertson Seed Farms), the decision leads to some important implications in future GMO cases.
Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are still a hot button issue that continues to gain momentum. On Tuesday April 27, in the very first Supreme Court law suit about genetically engineered crops, the U.S. Supreme Court heard arguments from the Center for Food Safety (CFS) in its case against Monsanto (Monsanto v. Geertson Seed Farms)...
New York, NY—The Board of Directors of the National Association for the Specialty Food Trade (NASFT) has made a unanimous decision to move the 2012 Summer Fancy Food Show to the Walter E. Washington Convention Center in Washington, D.C.
HomeFree, maker of organic, allergen-free, whole grain cookies based in Windham, NH, released the results of a nationwide survey revealing that America is confused about the difference between Celiac disease and food allergies.