Dallas-based Essential Formulas Incorporated (EFI) was established in 2000 as the sole U.S. distributor of world-renowned microbiologist, Dr. Iichiroh Ohhira’s award-winning probiotic dietary supplements and skin care products. A family-owned and operated business, EFI was founded on the philosophy of providing highquality preventative, supportive and comprehensive pro-health products for the entire family.
Pledging to provide premium all-natural supplements and exceptional customer care, EFI continually strives to lead the industry in customer and retailer education in the use and efficacy of their innovative products, which include: Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® (AVA Vegetarian Cert), Dr. Ohhira’s Propolis PLUS (Vegetarian Cert), Dr. Ohhira’s Essential Living Oils (AVA Vegan Cert), Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotic Kampuku Beauty Bar (AVA Vegan Cert) and Magoroku Skin Lotion.
Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® dietary supplement contains twelve strains of carefully selected friendly bacteria used in its fermentation process and continues to garner consumer, health care professional and industry accolades for its convenient packaging and powerful health-promoting benefits.
EFI recently introduced Dr. Ohhira’s Propolis PLUS, an immunebuilding formula that combines the benefits of probiotic support with the power-punch of bee-derived Brazilian Green Propolis, Omega 3s, Vitamin E and Astaxanthin, all converging to create a truly singular supplement.
Key Market Areas
• North American natural foods and dietary supplement stores
• Professional market—special formulas sold only to health care professionals
Major Products/Service Offerings
• Probiotic and Prebiotic Support—Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® Original Formula and Professional Formula
•Whole Health—Dr. Ohhira’s Propolis PLUS; Dr. Ohhira’s Essential Living Oils
• Skin Care—Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotic Kampuku Beauty Bar; Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotic Magoroku Skin Lotion
• Guaranteed to cohere in the digestive tract, Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® Original Formula is fermented for three years using 12 strains of LAB including the proprietary TH10. Encapsulated with its culture medium, the probiotic extract comes with its own inherent prebiotic support.
• The capsules are also available in a Professional Formula (sold only to healthcare professionals) fermented for five years, further concentrating its benefits.
• Dr. Ohhira’s Propolis PLUS™ combines a consistently potent Brazilian green propolis with flax oil, complete probiotic support and an anti-inflammatory antioxidant astaxanthin and vitamin E complex. The unusual synergetic combination promotes whole health in the areas of digestive function, immune response and inflammation cycle.
•Dr. Ohhira’s Essential Living Oils™ capsules provide a completely plant-derived vegan essential fatty acid alternative to fish oil.
Dr. Ohhira’s probiotic dietary supplements are known as an internal remodeling system that helps balance and support the body’s digestive and immune function. It’s a lesser-known fact that probiotic balance is vital for dermal health as well. Dr. Ohhira’s cosmeceutical product line offers the same probiotic support to nourish and defend the body’s exterior, along with providing botanical moisturizing benefits.
• Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotic Kampuku Beauty Bar™ is crafted from 14 natural plant extracts providing chemical-free moisturizing and deodorant benefits, without any animal by-products, preservatives or synthetic colors. It is suitable for all skin types, but especially helpful for super sensitive skin.
• Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotic Magoroku Skin Lotion™ contains friendly bacteria and their nutritious culture medium along with the benefits of wild plant and fruit extracts. This dermal nourishment is carried by traditional Japanese Magoroku oil (equine product) containing alpha-linolenic acids and linoleic acids. It is suitable for all skin types and gentle enough to use on an infant’s skin.
Company Growth Trend Continues
• Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics® Wins the Better Nutrition “Best of Supplements” Award for Third Consecutive Year.
• Essential Formulas recently launched its updated website, www.EssentialFormulas.com, where the “Dr. Ohhira Difference” is showcased in an informative video that highlights the three-year fermentation process, which uses twelve lactic acid bacteria (LAB) strains including the proprietary TH10, reportedly six times stronger than any other known LAB strain.
•With sales continuing to increase as consumers become more interested in preventative approaches to health, EFI has engaged senior staff to support its expanding distribution efforts. In 2009, EFI promoted Kathy LaForce to Director of Business Development; new hires include Jack Speer as General Manager, Carl LaForce as Director of Operations and Kelly Charles as Director of Public Relations and Marketing.
Essential Formulas Incorporated/Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotics®
Published in WholeFoods Magazine, November 2010