North American Herb & Spice started in the early 1990s with founder and president Judy K. Gray, M.S., harvesting and purifying Mediterranean Oregano, now known as the worldfamous Oreganol P73 and OregMax. A long-time believer in food as medicine, Mrs. Gray continued to search for the wildest and rarest foods for supplements. Fifteen-plus years and nearly 200 products later, NAHS has built itself as the premier whole food supplement company. Its focus is to bring ultimate nutrition to those seeking wellness through wild and organic herbs, spices, berries, mushrooms and other alternative remedies.
The mission of North American Herb and Spice is not only to educate the public on the powers of raw whole foods, but also to create a moral standard for the way we nourish our bodies. The company’s beliefs intertwine with movements across the globe that advocate the conservation of our natural resources. North American Herb and Spice is opposed to the use of genetically modified organisms in food. The firm believes that nature intended for our bodies to depend on natural-source vitamins and minerals, not synthetics. It is these, among other ideals, that have fueled North American Herb and Spice’s pursuit for a happier and healthier human race.
Since the company makes nearly 200 products, North American Herb and Spice can be sectioned off in just about every category in a health food store. Its market areas are vast and can be used in numerous applications and sections including, but not limited to:
• Vitamin, Mineral, Antioxidant and supplement sections.
• Seasonal Support
• Raw Food Category
• Whole Food Supplements
• Herbs and Botanicals
• Teas and Bulk section
• Superfood Juices
• Health and Beauty
Major Products/Service Offerings
North American Herb and Spice was the first company to introduce edible oil of oregano in the North American market. We are the Oregano experts! To be edible, this essential oil must be made only from wild, mountain-grown Mediterranean oregano, free of all chemicals and pesticides. North American Herb and Spice’s Oreganol P73 oil is produced by old-fashioned steam distillation, using deep spring water also known for its high mineral content. The company uses no chemicals, alcohol or solvents in its extraction process. The firm uses Oreganol P73 in over 20 different products in the line.
Other major products are the Purely vitamin line, consisting of Purely-B, Purely-C and Purely-E. All of these formulas are made from true whole foods and absolutely no synthetics or man-made ingredients are used. Another important aspect of the Purely vitamin line, truthfully the entire line, is that they are made with wild-crafted ingredients and maintained either in their raw food form or with minimal processing. North American Herb and Spice uses these techniques of procurement for several reasons; the company believes food is medicine and created perfectly for our bodies, wild-crafted ingredients are stronger and more nutritional than farm-raised, and raw/low heated ingredients contain more nutrients, vitamins, minerals, enzymes and phytochemicals than cooked/man made synthetic ingredients.
North American Herb and Spice has many services for retailers to help further educate their employees and customers which encompass:
• Exceptional customer service and ordering through our toll free number.
• Employee trainings over the phone and when available in person.
• Consumer lectures covering various health topics.
• Numerous sales sheets and flyers available for the public.
• Co-op advertising when available.
North American Herb and Spice has been introducing some exciting new products in the natural health industry. The Chaga Family line: wild, raw Chaga mushrooms harvested from remote parts of North America recently launched and have gained tremendous popularity. Chaga has the some of the highest ORAC and SOD levels of any mushroom and has been used medicinally for centuries. North American Herb and Spice has six products in the family line:
• Chag-o-Charge is a tea/espresso of powdered Chaga mushroom and black Maca making an instant beverage, hot or cold.
• Chag-o-Power is a liquid extract containing a host of dense nutrients, especially betulin and betulinic acids.
• Chaganol Strength Drink with added raw blackberry extract contains no stimulants or caffeine, just pure power from nature!
• Recently added to the Chaga family line are the two Chaga creams. Chaga cream and Chaga facial creams contain natural plant/berry/mushroom extracts without synthetic chemicals. It is so pure, you can eat them! The creams are designed to enhance and rejuvenate your natural beauty and health by bringing much needed antioxidants, enzymes and phytochemicals to the skin.
• Soon North American Herb and Spice will have ChagaMax in the market, a capsule version of the nutrient-rich Chaga mushroom.
Another product new to the North American Herb and Spice line is Purely-B. This product expands the family line of Purely C and Purely-E using whole food sources with nothing synthetic or man made. Purely-B is made from rice bran/polish, torula yeast, royal jelly and red sour grape, which naturally contain the B-vitamin family, Plus, Purely-B is a dense source of natural sterols and steriods, which the body needs for strength. Enjoy Purely-B on top of salads, in smoothies or mix with water, juice or milk.
North American Herb and Spice
P.O. Box 4855 Buffalo Grove, IL 60089
Tel.: (847)473-4700, (800)243-5242
Year Founded: 1990
Association/Memberships: TruLabel program and the Natural Product Association
Judy Kay Gray: President
Published in WholeFoods Magazine, November 2010