Horphag Research (USA), Inc. is the exclusive North American supplier of Pycnogenol® (pic-noj-en-all) French maritime pine bark extract. Based in Hoboken, NJ, Horphag Research (USA) has the exclusive rights to market and sell Pycnogenol® and works with hundreds of companies to help them develop innovative and effective Pycnogenol® product formulas. The company mission remains deeply rooted in a commitment to scientific research surrounding high-quality nutritional ingredients and this is reflected in the quality of products offered to customers.
Over the past 40 years, Horphag Research has invested millions of dollars in scientific research. Today, Pycnogenol® is one of the most evidence-based health ingredients in the industry with more than 340 scientific publications including more than 130 clinical trials on 10,000 patients, confirming its safety, non-toxicity and clinical efficacy.
Keeping in line with its commitment to science and innovation, comprehensive research and development programs continue to be carried out and new health applications for Pycnogenol® are explored every year.
Key Market Areas
Pycnogenol® is the brand name of a proprietary and patented antioxidant plant extract from the bark of the French maritime pine tree. It is included in more than 700 dietary supplements, cosmetic products and functional foods and beverages, with a presence in more than 80 countries worldwide.
Pycnogenol® is a natural plant extract originating from the bark of the maritime pine that grows along the coast of southwest France and is found to contain a unique combination of procyanidins, bioflavonoids and organic acids, which offer extensive natural health benefits.
Pycnogenol® has four basic properties—it’s a powerful antioxidant, acts as a natural anti-inflammatory, helps bind to collagen and elastin in the skin and aids in the production of endothelial nitric oxide, which helps to dilate blood vessels.
- Pycnogenol® Found To Relieve Symptoms of Meniere’s Disease. A study published in Minerva Medica found Pycnogenol® to significantly improve inner-ear blood flow, making it a natural option for those seeking relief from symptoms of Meniere’s disease, including dizziness, ringing in the ear, hearing loss and inner-ear pressure—which effects more than 50 million Americans. After six months of supplementation, nearly 90% of participants that took Pycnogenol® were asymptomatic.*
- Pycnogenol® Found To Naturally Improve Varicose and Spider Veins Following Pregnancy. A study on Pycnogenol® found that the natural supplement may improve blood flow and reduce swelling, pain and the number of faulty veins post-pregnancy. The best standard treatment is to wear compression stockings, and this study found that when worn in addition to supplementing with Pycnogenol®, participants reported significantly higher satisfaction with the treatment and near perfect (96%) compliance.*
- Pycnogenol® Found to Reduce Common Cold Symptoms and Duration. A study on Pycnogenol® found the super-antioxidant to relieve symptoms of the common cold including sore throat, sneezing, runny nose, cough, temperature and headache. Participants of the study began supplementing with Pycnogenol® at the first sign of the common cold, which resulted in a reduction of affected days and need for additional treatments.*
- Daily Use of Pycnogenol® Shown to Improve Memory and Focus at Work. Continuing Pycnogenol®’s robust catalog of cognitive benefits, the antioxidant was recently proven to help boost overall cognitive performance in a work setting. Participants who supplemented daily with Pycnogenol® demonstrated stronger performance in daily mental tasks such as dealing with money, managing people and coping with stress.*
- Pycnogenol® Found to Improve Endothelial Function in Cases of Borderline Hyperglycemia, Hypertension or Hyperlipidemia. The most recent study on Pycnogenol® found the super-antioxidant to strengthen metabolic parameters, reduce LDL cholesterol and curb oxidative stress levels. Over the course of 12 weeks, participants that supplemented with Pycnogenol® had significantly improved endothelial function, lower cholesterol levels and normalized blood pressure, further proving that Pycnogenol® is a safe, effective and natural option for those dealing with cardiovascular problems.*
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Frank Assumma, Director of Sales and Marketing
Published in WholeFoods Magazine, July 2015